Note: Videos may contain authoring issues that have been fixed, and are for preview purposes only. Video recording courtesy of Lowlander.
C3 releases for June 6, 2014:
New! (Arguably) Funk C01 5-pack
- Booker T & the M.G.’s – “Green Onions” (farottone)
- Duran Duran – “Notorious” (farottone)
- James Brown – “Papa’s Got a Brand New Bag Part I” (farottone)
- Lipps Inc. – “Funkytown” (farottone)
- Primus – “Those Damned Blue-Collar Tweekers” (RyanHYK)
New! Super Mario Bros. C01 3-pack (Nightmare Lyra)
- Koji Kondo – “Koopa’s Theme” M (from Super Mario 64)
- Koji Kondo – “Slider” M (from Super Mario 64)
- Koji Kondo – “Super Mario 64 Main Theme” M (from Super Mario 64)
- Against Me! – “I Was a Teenage Anarchist” (RyanHYK)
- The Beatles – “She Loves You” M (Orange Harrison)
- Chaotrope – “Yuukei” M 2x (Kcunningham04)
- Devin Townsend Project – “Juular” 2x (Nightmare Lyra)
- X Japan – “Jade” X 2x (AddyMilldike)
A red X denotes Pro Guitar/Pro Bass charts, a blue M denotes full multitracks, a blue K denotes a “karaoke” multitrack (separated vocals), and a rusty 2x denotes that a 2x Bass Pedal version is also available.
I hope you’ve finished playing the fifteen songs from last week, because we’ve got thirteen more for you today!
Kind of like indie rock, “funk” is a broad term that includes a lot of different sounds and influences. This week’s five-pack celebrates many of them, and “Funkytown”, because why not? Our other pack brings three famous Super Mario 64 tunes to your Rock Band setup, including the incredibly catchy “Slider” and “Main Theme”. (It’s the one from Bob-omb Battlefield, you know the one.)
We’ve also got another slew of singles, including another carefully-handcrafted Beatles multitrack from Orange Harrison, which brings us to ten C3-released Beatles songs! Against Me!’s “I Was a Teenage Anarchist” joins “Stop!”, “Thrash Unreal”, and “New Wave”; power metal favorites X Japan get “Jade”, joining “I.V.” from the RB2 twenty free songs; and RBN regulars Chaotrope and Devin Townsend each add a song to their hefty libraries.
What’s more, we’ve got another slew of Rock Band Harmonies Project releases, right on schedule! Thanks to espher, KyleJCrb, and GreenPanda12, you can now sing two- and three-part harmonies to tons of singles from 2009 and 2010, including “Heartbreaker” and “Bulletproof”, and play Pro Drums to five more Rock Band Network songs! Check the end of the post for the full list of songs, and visit the RBHP website to download them.
Why should you download these songs?
- “Green Onions” – farottone: “Arguably THE instrumental funk/R&B tune of the last century. Pro keys are quintessential Hammond goodness.”
- “Notorious” – farottone: “Probably as close to Prince as you will get for a while. Great song all around, super funky guitar and bass, good drumming.”
- “Papa’s Got a Brand New Bag” – farottone: “Talk about funky… Very challenging vocals, powerful horns, easy enough songs on the instruments. A great classic.”
- “Funkytown” – farottone: “The ultimate earworm (take it from a guy who had to play portions of it in loop to author it…). Drums are bland but with a few percussion sections, pro keys are easy and cool to play, vocals are deceptively hard. Great party tune.”
- “Those Damned Blue-Collar Tweekers” – One of the sleeper funks of the song! Only our second Primus song after “Jerry Was a Race Car Driver” and “Wynona’s Big Brown Beaver”. Primus sucks.
- “Koopa’s Theme” – NL: “Classic video game tune with a great riff and fun drums.”
- “Slider” – One of the most catchy video game themes of all time! NL: “Crazy guitar, drums and keys, cool thumping bass and iconic whistling melody on vocals.”
- “Super Mario 64 Main Theme” – Ditto! NL: “Groovy rhythms all around makes this a joy to play, as well as the nostalgia.”
- “I Was a Teenage Anarchist” – High-energy rock at its finest. If you want to jam out, this is for you!
- “Yuukei” – A great challenge on everything, and perfect for fans of RBN’s existing Chaotrope tracks.
- “Juular” – What’s with this week and “uu”? NL: “Crazy drums and harmonies to challenge you and manageable but fun guitar, bass and keys to entertain you makes this a blast to play.”
- “She Loves You” – Orange Harrison: “‘She Loves You’ is notorious for the master tracks getting lost immediately after the original record was pressed. As a result, the only existing copies today are a single mono track. There was never a chance to mix a stereo version before the master went missing. Here, using some of the same software Harmonix used in the original Beatles Rock Band game, and a lossless rip of the 2009 digital transfer from the original 1963 mono tape (the highest quality copy of the song publicly available), the official mono track has been forensically separated into a full multitrack for Rock Band 3!”
- “Jade” – AddyMilldike: “Being the closing song of the (unofficial) trilogy that started with ‘I.V.’ released way back in 2008 for RB2. ‘Jade’ gives us the same raw emotion we experienced way back when. A great bass part, a fun guitar chart, fast drum fills and super vocals. Plus, you can sing in Japanese for a few seconds, and that’s always cool!”
Fixes uploaded in the last week to previous C3 releases:
- Linkin Park – “Lost in the Echo”: Fixed sync issues and Keys chart
See you next Friday!
New! (Arguably) Funk C01 5-pack
New! Super Mario Bros. C01 3-pack
Rock Band Harmonies Project – June 6, 2014
To download these upgrades, visit the RBHP website.
Rock Band DLC 2008 Harmony Upgrades
- Smashing Pumpkins – “Zero” (espher)
Rock Band DLC 2009 Harmony Upgrades
- Pat Benatar – “Heartbreaker” (espher)
- Glasvegas – “Geraldine” (espher)
- The Von Bondies – “C’mon C’mon” (espher)
Rock Band DLC 2010 Harmony Upgrades
- dc Talk – “Jesus Freak” (espher)
- The Decemberists – “The Perfect Crime #2” (espher)
- Eagles of Death Metal – “I Only Want You” (espher)
- Eels – “Saturday Morning” (espher)
- The James Gang – “Walk Away” (espher)
- KMFDM – “Sturm & Drang” (espher)
- La Roux – “Bulletproof” (GreenPanda12)
- Morrissey – “Irish Blood, English Heart” (espher)
- Picture Me Broken – “Dearest (I’m So Sorry)” (espher)
- Ramones – “Rock ‘n’ Roll High School” (espher)
- Underoath – “Writing on the Walls” (espher)
Rock Band Network Pro Drum Upgrades
- Maylene & The Sons of Disaster – “Step Up (I’m On It)” (KyleJCrb)
- MC Frontalot – “Goth Girls” (KyleJCrb)
- MC Frontalot – “Hassle: The Dorkening” (KyleJCrb)
- Ron Wasserman – “American Hero” (KyleJCrb)
- Ron Wasserman – “Fight Back” (KyleJCrb)